Welcome to my blog, newly dedicated to EC 6019! Here's my first question for those who want to participate;
Authentic Assessment - Heard of it? If so, what do you know? Is Extra Credit valid? Is counting down for late work valid? Is "Participation" an acceptable element of a grade outside PE class? And away we go!!
Your Authentic Assessment presentation was food for thought. Although I feel that counting down for late work is valid, I am curious to know if there is perhaps an approach that rewards the student for just turning in the assignment, late or not? I am sure the instructor is trying to strongly encourage the students to become organized so that late assignments are not a problem.
ReplyDeleteJo Lynn,
ReplyDeleteI encourage you to listen to the video down below where I have a picture of me in a tux - it is an assignment I did for EC6016, but explains authentic assessment philosophy. I listened to and understand our instructor's point of view, and for an online class I can agree with it better. Also, it was made clear that you can't bomb other assignments and still make an "A" with the extra credit, so that it good. Do listen to the little radio-like show I produced. Have a great night!
Hi
ReplyDeleteGreat questions. I personally am opposed to extra credit. I feel it's a cop out. I agree with jo Lynn on counting down for late work.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI meant to click edit... SIGH...
ReplyDeleteI am glad you understood my comment in the VT. I think the podcast I'll make next week will also spark some conversation. You've already got me thinking about dropping extra credit in future classes. I change my course based on what my students teach me every class. I love learning and applying what I learn!
I think you would be interested in Lesley University's Assessment Expert's comments on Authentic Assessment. May I invite her, Dr. Linda Mensing Triplett, to post in your blog?
How would you do an online class w/o homework? Maybe if I think about it long enough I'll come up w/ an answer - but I would prefer to read your response.
ReplyDeleteThe very nature of an online course mandates "homework". There would be no way, that I can see, to not do homework on an online course.
ReplyDeleteMy authentic assessment views focus more on traditional classrooms and the practice of using it as part of the overall course grade. I also dislike homework from the standpoint that it invades family time. Stay the H out of my family time! That does not apply if the student has, for whatever reason, missed school, or even the occasional family project, but that is not what many, many teachers do. They instead see home time as an extension of the school day, and that's just plain wrong! Homework is NOT a form of assessment of knowledge. It IS an assessment of how supportive a family the student has and/or their work ethic - Neither elements should be part of the reported class grade.
Yes, you may invite Dr. Tripplett to view my blog.
W/o knowing anything about Authentic Assessment, I always wondered about homework while my children were in grade school. It was clear that some students turned in work that no way could they have done alone.
ReplyDeleteTeaching in an art school at the college level, I feel it is necessary to assign homework. There needs to be time to think deeply about the assignment and work creatively outside the classroom - in your own space.
I teach at an MYP/IB school, so Authentic Assessment is how most of our classroom grading is set up. I include a task or project for the student to perform or complete (using the Technology Cycle in my case) and use a rubric for evaluation. I have only been teaching for 4 years and would much rather teach this way than using the traditional assessments. Reasons are that the students are more responsible for their work usually because it relates to a real life situation. Also, this allows for direct evidence of mastery in a given topic.
ReplyDeleteExtra credit is not an option in my classroom, simply because of the rubrics. A student is able to re-do an assignment to prove their mastery and skills, but I also have them tell me why they didn't achieve the score on the rubric before submitting a second time. This allows me to find out if they really know and understand the material.
Students are also graded on what we call Areas of Interaction. This is where participation and late work fall. They receive a grade for how well they take responsibility of their own learning including organization skills, collaboration, communication, etc.
Please don't think that every student I have falls under this category. Just because we are an MYP/IB school, we still have students from the general population that don't take this track, but I still strive to teach the same way, no matter what class I have.